Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 4

We learned about Foreign Object Debris (and/or Damage), and Foreign Object Elimination today. FOD can apparently really ruin your day.

In addition to FOD and FOE, we discussed some basic ground operations, and types of fires and fire extinguishers,  jacking and hoisting aircraft and tiedown procedures for both fixed and rotary wing aircraft.

We spoke very briefly about taxiing procedures, and hand signals, which I'll be memorizing this weekend in preparation for a taxiing exercise we will be doing later in the month.

I believe this means "Time for Tacos"



I can't believe I'm going to get to start and taxi an aircraft. I get giddy thinking about it. It's like telling a dog it's time for a walk.



On a significantly more sobering note, today I saw pictures of a corpse.

This body used to be a man, but hist head got into the rotor plane of a helicopter.

The photographs were extremely graphic. So graphic I wondered if they could possibly be real. I was assured that they were.

That really drove home some of the dangers associated with this profession.

We also learned about birdstrikes, which, though dangerous, I find amusing.
When a dog gets run over, that sucks. I feel sorry for the dog.  The dog could only really go one of 4 directions.

But the bird has the advantage of being able to go up or down. I don't feel sorry for the bird. You've got all of everything to be flying around in, and you can't avoid the aircraft coming your way? Please.

Seriously.


Apparently this happens quite often, and is one of the main reasons AMTs and A&P students will be repairing airframes.

No comments:

Post a Comment