Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 2

Today we discussed the four forces, the three axes, the two types, and the first principle.

They weren't delivered in that way, or even in that order, but if I were teaching the class, that's how I would lay it down for the students.

It's all pretty elementary stuff for anyone who has had an interest in aviation and how things work. But it's great to go over everything again. A&P students come from a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels, so the instructor must always assume they know nothing.

The four forces:

The three axes (it took me a while to figure out how to pluralize "axis." Axi? Axies?):



The two types:


And the first principle:




That's not really the "first" principle of anything except what you need to understand when regarding powered flight.  The instructor did a pretty good job of explaining it, but I think some of the shy, slower kids didn't get it. It's their fault for not speaking up,. and I won't mind explaining it to them if they ever ask.

I really do think a foundational thing to tell A&P students, and any future aviation mechanic, is that air acts like a fluid. When I learned that (in the 8th grade), it really helped me understand Bernoulli's principle. 

Understanding that air is a fluid makes it easier to understand why the air is drawn (as it is pushed) over the top of the airfoil than under.  Once we understand that, we have to understand and how air, acting as a fluid, is constantly seeking equilibrium. With an airfoil between the high-pressure bottom and low-pressure top, the only way to reach equilibrium is by equalizing the pressure --> moving the airfoil up along the vertical axis.


Other interesting things I learned about:

Me Gusta.

Gyrocopter, or autorotor.



I want one.


Badly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogyro

I also learned that A&P Mechanics have a good change of working in a diversified set of industries. In my part of the world, there has been a recent (the last 10 years or so) interest in wind farms as an alternative source of electricity.

The A&P student is going to learn all about airfoils, composites, generators and electronics.  The only thing we won't be taught how to do is climb the ladder to the turbine.

No comments:

Post a Comment