Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day 29

We mostly talked about precision measuring instruments today.

We were promised that we would have some shop time tomorrow. We've got a short list of tools we need to bring to class (finally), and we'll be using them (finally) to do something (finally) constructive... finally.

We measured some things (apparently most pencils are two-hundred and seventy five thousandths of an inch), and learned how to read micrometers to the ten-thousandth of an inch.

I bought some dial calipers on eBay, and when they showed up, they were broken.
So I ordered another set. It would be awesome as balls if they showed up today so I could use them tomorrow, but I doubt it. I'm not that lucky.

They're Starretts, (the ones I most recently bought), so even if they show up wonky, I can get them worked on-- unlike the Peacock calipers I bought the first time. I guess that's what I get for being a sucker for products with nifty brand names. I'll have to put it next to my Cockatrice food processor and Mudskipper of Borneo pencil sharpener.

He may not look like much, but he's a pencil-sharpening fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment